Subscribe to the forum by e-mail
E-mail address:

::General discussion front page
::Post new message

This is a general discussion forum about petanque. All issues may be discussed here.

Identification of older boules

Posted by: Tobias Ono) at 2012-08-05 18:44:54
Posting has been displayed 143 times

I have not long ago rekindled my fondness for the game after I rediscovered my old set that was bought in France in the 80s. Charmingly scarred but I think they are in good shape, I would like to treat them better with oils or whatever is the smart choice, but I am unsure of what that would be since I don't have any of the original documentation.

I haven't found any identical on my net searches, so, in the hope someone has come across this possibly discontinued series, this is what little I know: They're OBUT, fairly matte, I am assuming steel, with few markings (well except what must be diameter and weight, 77 and 690) above the diameter is the letter "Z" and there is a star printed on each side of the OBUT name..

Does this ring any bells for anyone, and better yet, does someone have any advice for which fluid(s) I best ought to treat them with?

Posted by: Raymond Ager) at 2012-08-06 03:03:49
Posting has been displayed 157 times

I think you'll find that Z77 is the number for the set of boules - the diameter usually isn't stamped. 77mm is quite a large set.

Boules don't usually need much maintenance, perhaps an occasional wipe with an oily rag to keep rust at bay, especially if you're leaving them unused for any length of time.

If you want to remove rust, a wire brush or fine emery paper should be fine, or you can soak them overnight in CocaCola.

Many players do prefer boules that are slightly rusty, as this improves the grip - but purely a personal preference.

The best advice is to play regularly with the boules!

HTH.

Posted by: Tobias Ono) at 2012-08-06 12:37:02
Posting has been displayed 184 times

Ah great, thanks. I did think 77mm seemed ambitious for my medium size hand.

Also thanks for the maintenance tips. I certainly plan to play a lot. There is no rust yet, but a very raspy surface that feels good to the grip. One person recommended to treat them with CRC 5-65, is that something worthwhile in your experience?

Posted by: Raymond Ager) at 2012-08-06 13:14:37
Posting has been displayed 803 times

I'm afraid I have no knowledge or experience of CRC 5-65.

My advice would be simply to play with them. Certainly, if you're playing on a gravel surface, this will soon remove any surface markings.

Obut is now maketing both a cleaner and lubricant for boules, although I suspect any French player will tell you they've managed perfectly ok for the last 100 years without any special products.

Regards.

Posted by: Tobias Ono) at 2012-08-06 17:08:36
Posting has been displayed 260 times

I am sure you are right.

The CRC 5 advice was given to me by one who thought my set were carbon steel, but my most recent digging indicates that OBUT instead of clearly typing it, uses the star symbol ★ to designate an inox boule, which might explain why they look so decent after all these years. Maintenance-free then I guess.

Cheers.

Posted by: Raymond Ager) at 2012-08-07 02:25:55
Posting has been displayed 2041 times

Have a good game!

::General discussion front page
::Post new message

Petanque.org

The world wide petanque and boule community, by and for users.

Tweets by @PetanqueOrg Tweets about "petanque"