Subscribe to the forum by e-mail
E-mail address:

::Rules of petanque front page
::Post new message

Share your thoughts with the world about the rules, how they are interpreted and how you interpret them.
The official rules are online here

A creative way to cheat?

Posted by: Don Nairn) at 2007-05-03 22:55:02
Posting has been displayed 1550 times

I heard an interesting story recently.

Team A concluded that Team B preferred a short rolling style game after a few ends.

Next time Team A got to throw the jack they chose to have a longer end across a rougher part of the terrain. Most people would suggest this is a reasonable strategy and within the sprit and rules of the game.

Team B called the umpire to confirm that the jack was not more than 10m it was measured at 9.8m

Meanwhile team B have redrawn the circle.

Team B now ask the umpire to measure the size of the circle and the circle is measured at 52cm and is declared invalid.

Team A point out that the circle has been interfered with and is not the circle that they originally used.

What action should the umpire take?

A creative way to cheat?

Posted by: Dave Smith) at 2012-12-22 09:07:15
Posting has been displayed 179 times

Why have Team B withdrawn the circle if the jack had already be measured at 9.8 metres?

Team A say the circle has been interfered with. Then they say it is not the circle they originally used?

If I were the umpire, I'd tell them to get on with it.

A creative way to cheat?

Posted by: Guy Therrien) at 2007-05-04 13:45:39
Posting has been displayed 873 times

Suppose for a moment that you are the umpire. One team ask you to measure the circle. You do and your measure show that the diameter is 52 cm.

The circle is not legal, of course. One team says black while the other team says white (I know, this is not what they say, but who cares, all you see is a circle whose diameter not legal).

So you go from what you see, not from what they say or may say.

Guy

A creative way to cheat?

Posted by: Jeff Widen) at 2007-05-04 17:36:59
Posting has been displayed 1428 times

I think, at that point, BOTH teams should be disqualified for being petty. Maybe make them play bocce as punishment...

A creative way to cheat?

Posted by: Dave Smith) at 2012-12-23 04:24:23
Posting has been displayed 2459 times

I meant redrawn and not withdrawn... also, as our club always uses circles (either home-made or official), I had just assumed that these had been used in this instance. Anyway, I now agree with another person's comment... both teams should be disqualified for being so petty.

A creative way to cheat?

Posted by: Don Nairn) at 2007-05-16 00:10:36
Posting has been displayed 1815 times

Certainly it seems reasonable that the umpire can only make a decision on what he can observe.

Clearly it is impossible to tell if it was the intention to get the end declared invalid by redrawing the circle.

A creative way to cheat?

Posted by: Loek Neve) at 2012-12-17 12:04:21
Posting has been displayed 343 times

I would have them replay this part.

::Rules of petanque front page
::Post new message

Petanque.org

The world wide petanque and boule community, by and for users.

Tweets by @PetanqueOrg Tweets about "petanque"