Subscribe to the forum by e-mail
E-mail address:

::General discussion front page
::Post new message

This is a general discussion forum about petanque. All issues may be discussed here.

Question

Posted by: Kieran Stone) at 2013-06-05 09:41:36
Posting has been displayed 339 times

I am trying to arrange for a Petanque tournament in Virgina and I can not find any information on what type of sand to use and how much of it I would need. I am going to be ordering sand and placing it on pavement. The size of the court will be the official size and there will be barriers to keep the sand in. I'm having a hard time finding information about how I should go about ordering this. How deep should I have the sand? One inch? two?

IF anyone out there could give me some type of advice of, what type of sand I should use and how much I should order to fill 5 official courts I would appreciate it.

Question

Posted by: Raymond Ager) at 2013-06-05 10:58:42
Posting has been displayed 248 times

You're best bet is to contact the American Association and try and find a local club for advice - I'm sure they will be able to help.

NB sorry to be pedantic but pétanque is played on a TERRAIN not a 'court'!

Have a good tournament.

Question

Posted by: Petanque America) at 2013-06-10 19:47:57
Posting has been displayed 1378 times

Hi Kieran,
For the borders, use "landscape timbers". Available at Lowes, Home Depot, etc ... for abt $3.50 a piece (depending on the season). Since they come in 8ft lengths, make a 40' by 60' square, which is good for five 40'x 12' "courts" or "lanes". Screw them together using mending plates. Later on you'll define the 5 lanes by stringing fluo builders twine (cord).
Since you're on pavement, 1/2 an inch of crushed stone will do. It's called "screenings" or "quarter inch minus". Whatever stone is cheapest in your area.
3 cu.yd. is sufficient.
If it's in a public location, make sure you have lots of help after the event to scoop it all back up and haul it away! The timbers you just unscrew and keep for the next time around.
Call me if you have further questions, at 904-491-1190
Philippe

::General discussion front page
::Post new message

Petanque.org

The world wide petanque and boule community, by and for users.

Tweets by @PetanqueOrg Tweets about "petanque"