Subscribe to the forum by e-mail
E-mail address:

::Petanque.org Feedback front page
::Post new message

How do you like this service? Is it any good?
What can we do to improve it?
Do you feel like giving us a big hug, or are you a bit more negative?
Release your fellings right here.

Building up a petanque club in Abu Dhabi, UAE

Posted by: Barry Green) at 2005-12-05 09:14:25
Posting has been displayed 2011 times

Hi,

My wife and I have just moved to Abu Dhabi, from Zurish, Switzerland, where we used to play Petanque whenever we could. Obviously, we would like to continue now we are here. I read with great interest the article by Peter Mcfarquar about building a terrain in the middle east (Dubai in this instance), and would first of all like to say a big "thanks" for this article, as I am sure it will help us when we come to do a similar job here in Abu Dhabi.

Secondly, I would very much like to email Peter directly, or get in touch with anyone from Dubai who plays regularly (or even Adu Dhabi - but I don't think there are many players here) - so if you help with this it would be much appreciated.

Lastly, if you have any advice/guidence about setting up a club (such as sponsorship, etc.) then that would also be much appreciated.

Many Thanks,
Barry Green

Posted by: John Fowler) at 2005-12-07 08:13:50
Posting has been displayed 1132 times

Hi Barry,

We worked in Dubai until 1998. At that time there was a very keen petanque club based at the Dubai Cricket Club, which at that time was located next to Dubai Exiles Rugby Club. They even organised an 'open' competition and i think several teams came from Abu Dhabi.
I don't know if its still active but might be worth investigating.

Regards,
John Fowler

Posted by: MOHAMED juma) at 2014-08-08 20:35:48
Posting has been displayed 63 times

DEARS:
we are the arab bowls federation
we supporting any efforts and activities regarding
spreading petanque in arab countries

mgr_1967@hotmail.com
thank you

Posted by: Barry Green) at 2005-12-07 22:53:55
Posting has been displayed 1237 times

Thanks for the information, John. I will certainly follow this up. If you also have any 'old' contact details of players/members, that would be great.

Meanwhile, any information from anyone in the UAE (Abu Dhabi particularly) about clubs would be most appreciated. There doesn't seem to be anything (except a few hotels) known to Google :-)
Thanks,
Barry

Posted by: Bahi Mohamed Mohamed) at 2013-11-03 12:56:01
Posting has been displayed 287 times

Hiii dears,

I would love to play pétanque .....I am working in Abu dhabi since 4 years .

Please let me know where you play

Looking forward to play with you

Regards,

Mohamed

Posted by: Barry Green) at 2014-08-12 03:44:50
Posting has been displayed 163 times

Hi Mohamed
I'd love to find out more about the Arab Bowls Federation. Please contact me via email with details.
Best regards
Barry

barry.r.green@gmail.com

Posted by: Barry Green) at 2012-01-13 00:09:28
Posting has been displayed 4474 times

It's a long time since I posted my original message above. I am happy to report that I am still working in Abu Dhabi - and still keen on Petanque. Success at finding somewhere to play has not been that great, to be honest, but recently I have found somewhere that offers a reasonable terrain. It's a disused parking space, that used to be covered in parked cars, but now that the municipality has prevented unauthorised parking, it's completely empty.
It's not ideal - but certainly playable, consisting of a sandy base with rather course gravel and stones on top. There was a building there originally, so it's very firm deeper down in places.
We play there some evenings and weekends, and anyone who also plays Petanque is welcome to join us. The space is behind Al Jazeerah Towers on Hamdan Street (Opposite Crowne Plaza Hotel). Coordinates for those who use Google Earth are: 24°29'33.92"N 54°21'55.26"E. Otherwise just drop me an email......
Cheers,
Barry

Posted by: Barry Green) at 2013-11-05 06:50:28
Posting has been displayed 857 times

Hi Mohamed
We play behind Barclays Bank on Hamdan Street - a disused carpark. Now that the weather is not quite so hot, we tend to play in the evening and at weekends too. Email me for more details: barry.r.green@gmail.com

Thanks
Barry

Posted by: Hicham Lachgar) at 2012-05-14 23:35:45
Posting has been displayed 3729 times

Hi Barry,
I have been looking for such opportunity since long time .hope to join you if you are still playing .

Regards,

Hicham

Posted by: Barry Green) at 2012-05-15 00:33:09
Posting has been displayed 4580 times

Hello Hicham

Yes - we still play quite often (even in the heat!) - same place. Usually we play on a Friday or Saturday and very often after 5pm too - until it's too dark to see!
Best wishes - hope to see you there sometime - or drop me an email to arrange a specific date/time.
Regards
Barry

Posted by: El Bachir Alouani) at 2013-01-16 18:19:28
Posting has been displayed 1921 times

halow freind barry i was playing petanque evry dag but when i movet to denmark evryting tchanget i love this game and i was playing with the best players in the word and know loking to mouve to dubai and if you kan gie me somme information i seak franch and danich arabic and englich my fon 45 71190015

::Petanque.org Feedback front page
::Post new message

Petanque.org

The world wide petanque and boule community, by and for users.

Tweets by @PetanqueOrg Tweets about "petanque"