Subscribe to the forum by e-mail
E-mail address:

::Rules of petanque front page
::Post new message

Share your thoughts with the world about the rules, how they are interpreted and how you interpret them.
The official rules are online here

Shooting out the cochonnet

Posted by: Kim Badcock) at 2014-04-12 02:09:10
Posting has been displayed 132 times

G'day from Australia!
Is it a sporting thing to deliberately shoot the cochonnet out of bounds if your team is the only one with boules left and the other team are holding the point with a very tight head? In other words you shoot the boule that's holding knowing that if it hits the cochonnet will be knocked out of bounds?
cheers ... Kimbo

Posted by: Raymond Ager) at 2014-04-12 03:45:54
Posting has been displayed 67 times

Bien sûr !

It's perfectly 'sporting' and if it's the right tactic, it's the right thing to do.

Shooting the jack if, of course, often pretty difficult. Philippe Quantais made it an art and a great weapon that he could deploy when necessary.

NB There are 3, I think, cases when you might shoot the jack.
1. In your scenario in a tight head, to win the point(s).
2. To save a lost situation.
3. To move the jack giving you more room to score.

NBB Some 'purists' create a fuss if/when the jack and/or a boule is accidentally hit, i.e. you win by luck rather than skillful play. Against such players, many will 'annonce' if they're going to shoot the jack so there can be no doubt they won by skill and not luck :-)

Enjoy.

Posted by: Kim Badcock) at 2014-04-12 07:58:02
Posting has been displayed 176 times

Thank you for your quick reply. Ours is a new club and people have been concentrating on their skills and now only just thinking about strategy. Please look us up if you ever visit Australie! cheers ... kimbo

Posted by: Raymond Ager) at 2014-04-12 13:05:33
Posting has been displayed 882 times

You're welcome.

I wish you every sucess with the new club - if you're already asking questions about strategy, that's a good sign. Keep up the good work - don't hesitate to ask if you need advice in the future.

Thank you for your kind offer to visit - to be honest, Australia is a long way, so I fear a visit is unlikely.

But if you ever visit La Ciotat, 'birthplace of pétanque' you'll be very welcome.

Kind regards.

::Rules of petanque front page
::Post new message

Petanque.org

The world wide petanque and boule community, by and for users.

Tweets by @PetanqueOrg Tweets about "petanque"